Friday, June 08, 2007

Ten things to do before you leave Albania

(I'm writing this in english to get input from my international friends. Hope that's OK)

A swedish friend of mine, Torbjörn, and I are creating a list on "ten things you have to do before you leave Albania", and so far I think it looks very "interesting" - so far we've found eight of them - in no particular order:


  • Sliding the pyramid


    Done that! Great fun! But the pictures got lost: Maria - can you send me some of the ones you made, please?


  • Drive one of the three wheel lorries


    This is going to be a tough one for me: I haven't got a drivers licence!


  • Shake hands with the president

    According to my sources, this shouldn't be a problem at all. Either I get help from the swede compiling this list with me - he works with the presidents daughter, or I simply show up at the restaurant in Durrës where he eats lunch most sundays, and where he shakes hands with everybody who approaches him.


  • Climb the Korrabi mountain

    This is the highest mountain in Albania, and it's a hike of about 3-4 hours in each direction.


  • Raft the Lana (in one of these 10-Euros inflatable raft that you can buy in any petrol station in Norway)



    This is the toughest one. The Lana flows though the center of Tirana, and is barely fluid because of the pollution. There's two strategies to do this:

    Do it in the summer: The water level is lower, makeing the possibility of staying dry (and thereby surviving) higher, or
    Do it in the winter: The water level is high, but the pollution is less, and the water doesn't smell that foul

    I'm gonna analyze the strategies closer and decide later


  • Paint a bunker



  • I need to stop talking about the bunker painter gerilja and start doing it.. Maybe in Dhermi this weekend?

  • Go somewhere by train

    The trains in Albania is famous for their speed. They manage to make an average of 30 km/h according to my tourist guide. In addition to this, there are never any working toilets on board, and the kids living close to the track has train window breaking as their favourite hobby. I think I'm only going to go to Durrës - the shortest distance possible



But as you all can see: There's only 7 items on the list. (I'm sure we had come up with 8, but I don't remember the last one). Does any of you out there have some good ideas for the missing three? We'd be thankfull!

6 comments:

lyoness said...

I think you should not only paint the bunker but also camp out in it for at least one night to get the true bunker feeling of Albania!

Anne Abelsæth said...

Oi!
This is a tough one. Have you ever been inside a bunker? Extremely cramped, and extremely much garbage.

But maybe if we find one of these huge "commander bunkers" in some remote area where no person has ever been, so that the bunker is as pristine as in Hoxha's days?

Anyway: I completely love the idea - and this isn't supposed to be easy!

Gaute said...

Hi Anne!

How about pursuing the Albanian dream(?) and build an illegal house, or maybe an illegal smoking room?

Guerillia tourism!

Anonymous said...

Det hørtes ganske kjedelig ut der? hvorfor tar ikke du med alt det andre ? bade , ta deg en tur på fjella, osv?

Anne Abelsæth said...

Anonymus: bade, fjellturer, rafting og alt det der gjør vi jo hele tiden uansett - og det er jo ikke noen utfordring.

Building illegal houses sounds much more fun, but kinda expencive - maybe a small tree house in the park would be sufficient?

Anonymous said...

amazing blog. Keep up the good work