Wednesday, June 20, 2007

Ten things do to before you leave Albania, part II

Seems like I have more enemies than I knew of - and they obviously range from just disliking me up to wanting me dead. Amongst the suggestions I recieved (here in the blog or by email) are:


  • Spend a night in a bunker: Good idea to spend a night in a toilet, don't you think?

  • When leaving Albania for good, get yourself smuggled out of the country (like a lot of Albanians do, either volountarily or not): Yeah! I'd love to end up in jail for some years!

  • Swim across the artificial lake: The lake must be almost as polluted as the Lana river. Only difference is that when rafting the river, the goal is basically not to get wet - in order to survive.


But luckily I have some friends that don't want the worst for me. Gaute suggested to build an illegal building. That would indeed be very albanian. It sounds like a project that's too expencive for me, but we can downscale it a little to build a tree house in the big park. Only problem is that I really love the big park, and I don't want any more garbage in it, so I haven't quite decided yet.

Anyway: Thanks for all your help. We'll continue working on the list until it completed.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Seems like you are fed up with Albania LOL? Thats the impression i get. Things didnt always use to be like this. We did miss our enlightment/renaissance and have fought countless wars for our survival. Add on top of that the disease of communism and you get the idea.

We should exchange places with Canada? No more pollution, horse-wheel carts, pyramid-sliding kids, smelly lana and illegal buildings. The cars will stop for you when you cross the street. People will say thank you and smile for everything you do.

E.

Anne Abelsæth said...

I'm not really fed up with Albania. Compared to Norway it's a bit hard to get things done here, and the progress in my project is too slow, but I still like the people, the nature, the optimism and all that (but I do so totally NOT like the heat! It's waay too hot here now. Luckily I'll leave for the summer on thursday).

And I have to admit that in the long run, I prefer the northwestern european culture of order and tidyness, but then Albania wouldn't have been Albania, and my stay here wouldn't have been half as fun, so for now, I'm happy not to turn Albania in to a new Canada.

Anonymous said...

My father works there for an international oil company. He told me the temperature is around 36-40 degrees. I bet its really hot.

P.S: (The civilization has shifted into Northern Europe only recently in the 19-20th century. Other than that we viewed you guys as barbarians without culture.)

Anonymous said...

I also get the feeling that you are fed up with Albania. Your attempt at romantisizing the nation and its people is not surprising or new, most foreigners who do come for one or more years end up thinking/acting like this. Guess it is all about the "otherness" you seem to adhere to throughout your posts